Monday, September 17, 2007

Ms. Keirn-Swanson's English assignment

Where I'm From
by Erin
with thanks to Ms. Keirn-Swanson
and George Ella Lyon

I am from an acoustic guitar
from Coca-Cola and pickles
(to appease maternal cravings long after childbirth)

I am from the rose bushes in the front yard
the pine trees planted by young hands
in celebration of Arbor Day

I am from Christmicah and singers
from L'Shana Pearl and Orla
I am from 'I can do it myself'
and 'I'll take care of it later'

From "you're the one who has to wear it"
and "you're so pretty; you could be an actress"

I am from The Beatles and The Eagles
Sonny and Cher
from family sing-a-longs
and Barry Manilow specials

I am from Bellefontaine and Russia
(where the pogroms made the name of the shtetl obsolete)
from peanut butter cookies and tuna noodle casserole

From the seamstress who traveled alone
to the Land of Opportunity
and the grocer's wife who created a family
in the post-War boom

I am from an LP player and the kitchen table
that greeted us with bowls of cereal and Valentine's candy
From photos still waiting to be put in albums
to share with significant others and the next generation