Monday, October 11, 2004

The college began construction on a new building earlier this summer. Sometime last week, while preparing the ground to lay new wire, the construction guys cut the cable to the entire dorm, including my apartment. I did not notice this until Friday, since I spent most of the week happily inside a book (American Gods by Neil Gaiman for those of you keeping track). However, when I turned my television on Friday night, I discovered the lack of BBC America. This made me so sad that I decided to watch Amelie instead, for some reason thinking that watching a French movie was the same thing as studying for the French test I bombed Saturday morning. Anyway, through the course of this I forgot about the Presidential debates. It sounds like I missed an interesting evening. Although, I'm not good at watching debates. I usually get so frustrated with the spinning that I end up changing the channel and this debate sounded painful, what with the ranting crazy man and all. Probably just as well I missed it. I can get all the info I need in print without having to hear raised voices. I'm very pleased to note that all political conversation has ceased at work. They have apparently reached an unspoken understanding that they all disagree and therefore do not need to discuss the topic any further.

I'm am writing this for the very first time from my own apartment. I think I like having a computer at home. It alleviates a lot of guilt. No more am I breaking into my office after hours to play online. I'm not abusing company equipment for personal entertainment. Nope, now I can go anywhere I want online without a little eye popping up to remind me I'm using the company's internet. Yes, this is a good thing.