Friday, October 01, 2004

The debates have started, and I’m not talking about the candidates. Everywhere I go today, people are talking politics. I’m staying out of it this time. I’ve sequestered myself in my office to avoid being drawn into the conversation, because it’s not really conversation. It’s become, “I’m right, you’re wrong and I’m going to keep shouting at you until you agree with me”. These interactions have all the fervor of religious conviction. It’s rather frightening, actually. When did we deify government? Who says Rome is dead? We’re not electing a president; we’re crowning Caesar to go conquer the barbarians. No, the conversation has become too charged for me. I know which candidate I’m voting for. I have my reasons for voting this way, and if someone is not willing to rationally discuss their point of view, then I don’t want any part of it.