Thursday, April 12, 2007

A Day in the Life

I know, I haven't written much lately. It's mostly because there's not much to write about, but also because I spend 2 hours commuting everyday. Instead of waiting for something fun and interesting to write about, I thought I'd just give you an idea what an average day is like in the life of me. Here goes:

The alarm went off at 6:45. About 7:15 I got out of bed. I made breakfast (cereal) then got ready for work, fighting the temptation to go back to sleep. At 7:50 I began my morning commute. It was a little misty this morning, but the traffic was moving along nicely. I listened to Boomer on the Morning X for most of the drive, then switched to Mix 107.7 when The X finally faded out. It's a weird transition to go from "new rock" to "adult contemporary", but with my ipod needing charged, I had little in the way of listening options. Although, when I couldn't take the radio any longer, I put in a Regina Spektor CD (11:11). I arrived at work at 8:55. By 9:00 (my official starting time), I had made my morning salutations and checked my email.

At 10:00 I had an orientation meeting at King Library. It's nice to be on a real campus, but walking across campus, uphill, in the rain: not so much fun. My orientation was on disaster preparedness. After the meeting, I began the downhill walk, in the snow this time, back to the music library. After a little more than an hour back at the post, it's time for lunch, so I headed over to the Shriver Center and got myself some food (egg and cheese sandwich on wheat and chicken noodle soup - I'm sure my eating habits are fascinating). I took my food back to the music building and ate in the green room.

After lunch, I got back to my desk and discovered the hanging file rack I needed had arrived, so I spent a good part of the afternoon cleaning off my desk and organizing my files. I have a nice clean desktop now and I should be able to find things when I need them. I spent the rest of the afternoon keeping myself occupied, all the while thinking I should be cataloging books, but never actually getting to it. It's not that I don't like to do it, I just don't completely understand it yet. I never cataloged before this job, and it's like learning a foreign language. Anyway...6:00 finally rolled around and I clocked out. I wished a student luck on his senior recital as I walked out the door.

Before I could head home, I needed gasoline. I headed uptown, stopping for dinner on my way to the gas station (fast food, nothing to worth writing about). Gased up, I started for home. The ride home was uneventful. Again, I listened to the radio to keep me awake and entertained. I passed Jesus, but I've become so accustomed to him that I don't even notice him anymore, although some days I do say "hi" to my Jewish brother. (for those of you not familiar with the giant Jesus on I-75 check this out)

I made it safely home, where I immediately got on my computer, sent a bulletin on myspace and decided to write this post. Now I think I'm going to veg in front of the tv and hopefully fall asleep before 10:00.

Good night.