Sunday, December 12, 2004

"I'll see what you're made of by what you make of me" - Ani DiFranco

I went to a cheerleading competition Saturday afternoon. I know what you're thinking, "what's a rational adult doing at a cheerleading competition?" Trust me, I asked myself that very question several times throughout the afternoon, but I was there to see two of my student workers who were competing in an open collegiate squad. It was actually pretty cool once I got over the cheerleading aspect of it. Some of those squads were amazing! And of course my boys did a great job. I was very impressed!

Saturday night saw me at another Shrug show. Actually it was a release party for the Dayton After Dark compilation CD. There were 4 bands there with very distinct sounds: Sleepybird,
Days without End, Shrug, and My Latex Brain (the website wasn't working). It was an interesting show. I arrived towards the end of Sleepybird's set, but I was impressed with what little I saw, especially the theremin. I've never seen one played live before. It was f*&king cool! Days without End was pretty good. They had a substitute singer who did a phenomenal job. Then it was Shrug's turn. They were great as usual. And finally My Latex Brain played, and they kicked ass! It was all metal, angry, bass-driven, head-bangin' rock-n-roll. It was the kind of band I would've followed around when I was 18. Now, I'm following around Shrug. Well, for the last three weeks anyway. It's amazing how much I've mellowed out, but at least I still have decent taste in music!

I've added a few new links. My friend resident jason's band is working on their first indie label CD, so I thought I'd post a link to their site. Mona is the band that opened for Shrug the first of the three weekends I went to see them play. They are this year's winner of the Dayton battle of the bands, and they are awesome! Finally, because I'm in need of a little feminist perspective and she helped out today, I added a link to Ani DiFranco. I also added Neil Gaiman's main webpage under authors, although you can get to it from his journal. I just thought Sherman was getting lonely there all by himself. I really need to do something with the authors, but I don't read mainstream kind of stuff and I don't think Rumi needs a website.

This is longer than it needs to be. I'll shut up now.