Sunday, December 05, 2004

Won't you be my neighbor?

I am a very bad dorm supervisor. The boys were having a popcorn fight that escalated to putting shaving cream on each other's doors to a water fight, and all I did was watch and laugh. Now, purely out of guilt for not stopping them, I feel the need to make them clean up the mess. We'll see what happens. They're all playing innocent now. Boys!

Last night I went to see "an evening with Shrug". Shrug has been around Dayton for a long time, but I'm relatively new to the fold. I've known about the band for a couple years, but due to work, life or whatever excuse I could think up at the time, I haven't been to a show until recently. I'll be completely honest, the band has had to grow on me. The first time I saw them play I thought they were decent, but wasn't incredibly impressed. However, after seeing them 2 weekends in a row, I am now in awe! This band is amazing! As a fan of the pop-punk genre where musical talent isn't always required, it's refreshing to see a band with actual ability. Last night they played 3 sets, the first of which was acoustic. I very much enjoyed the acoustic set, although at one point I was feeling covetous of the stand up bass (it's my favorite instrument. After years of playing violin and cello, I tried to get my orchestra teacher to let me play bass, but he didn't believe in girls playing bass. anyway...) The second and third set brought the electric instruments back and the music was played as it was intended. I sat in my corner and watched as the crowd started to get into the show. By the third set, everyone was up dancing and singing along. Even I was doing a little chair dancing. I couldn't help it, the energy was contagious. It's amazing how much difference the crowd makes for a performance!

The boys have all sequestered themselves in their respective rooms pretending to be studying. I should probably go encourage them to clean the popcorn out of the carpet before they get too comfortable.