Wednesday, March 23, 2005

Days like these...

It's been a rough week. One of my co-workers tried to engineer my departure from the library. There is an opening in the bookstore for an assistant manager, so she went to the manager and told her I was interested without consulting me. The manager then went to her boss and everyone got excited that they would be able to hire from within without ever discussing the idea with me. Because I was feeling trapped, I decided to inquire about the position, thinking that if I'm obviously not wanted where I'm at I'd look to see if I should take the job. The job would require long hours, is salaried so I wouldn't get paid for the long hours, there is no pay raise or extra time off. There are no advantages to taking this job at all, not even the satisfaction of having a job that I like better. I talked to my mom about it, who was appalled I was being so meek. She told me her daughter would stay where she was out of spite! Well, I am staying, but not out of spite necessarily. If I decide to take another job, it will be on my terms and it will be a job I want to do, not just something I take to get away from a rabid co-worker. I'm sure the situation won't be improved by my decision, but she shouldn't be allowed to control my life like that. I don't cope well with hostility, and would prefer to just not have to deal, but if I'm staying I guess I'm going to have to learn.

On a happier note, I bought myself an early birthday present: an electric bass. I feel so much more comfortable with the bass than the guitar (10 years of violin and cello may be a contributing factor). It just makes me happy! Especially after learning the bassline to "I believe in a thing called love" by The Darkness last night. This is a good thing!