Monday, March 07, 2005

Most of us go to our grave with our music still inside of us. --Unknown

The sickness has finally caught up with me. I've survived all winter without a cold, and now that we're down to the end I get one. At least it's break week here, so I can suffer in relative solitude. I'm so melodramatic.

I went to see Movin' Out Saturday in Cincinnati. It was a good show. The dancing was phenomenal. Not that I'm really all that knowledgeable about such things, but it was fun to watch.
After the show, I went to my cousin's house to discuss the trip to Yellowstone this summer. About 45 minutes into the discussion my cousin decides she doesn't want to go because it's just too much nature for her. 3 days staying in a cabin in the middle of nowhere with only buffalo (and her family) to keep her company just didn't sound appealing to her. It sounds like heaven to me (except for the family part). The mountains and waterfalls, the wildlife and geysers, what more could you ask for from a vacation? She didn't like the idea of being so far removed from civilization. I love my cousin. She is an exceptionally cool person, except when it comes to vacation.

And speaking of nature. On my way out of town Sat. I saw a peregrine falcon sitting by the side of the road in the suburbs. I see falcon quite often on the highway, but this was the first time I've seen one in the city. I don't know why this was important to mention, but I feel better now.

When I got home Sat. night, a couple of my library boys came to my apartment for our first unofficial band practice. There's still a bit of teaching Erin how to play the guitar happening, but we actually wrote a song. Then one of them got the bright idea that we need to put together a cd, recorded on his computer, of course, since anything we write will hold no interest for anyone other than us. It's a concept piece, you see, all songs about working in the library. So we were all given the assignment of writing 3 songs this week. A task I feel is unrealistic for the lyrically challenged person such as myself, but I did manage to write a song today. It's a love song for the electric guitar I'm babysitting while it's owner is enjoying his mid-term break (we can't actually call it a spring break when it's the beginning of March). I'm sure he and the rest of the library boys band will find it very disturbing, but I think it's hilarious! "I cradle you in my arms/I stroke your neck/I pull your strings/I turn you on/ready to hear you scream". It's just so awful it's funny! I'm not so sure it's 19 year-old owner will find it quite so amusing considering it's his boss writing these things. It's probably crossing the lines of appropriate behavior actually, so I might not share it with them. It depends on how many more songs I manage to write this week. Anyone got any ideas?