Wednesday, September 21, 2005

around the world in 80 minutes

I went to an international adoption seminar this past weekend. I have been thinking about this for a couple of years, but never really felt ready to be a mom. But out of curiosity, I went to the meeting. I was impressed with how honest the agency was about the conditions the children lived in and the possible health risks of those living conditions. I had read several articles of the horrors of international adoption and how unscrupulous agencies try to convince you of how wonderful the whole process is, but not this agency. It's a complicated, time consuming and ridiculously expensive procedure. I talked to my mom about it and her great advice was to go get artificially inseminated if I wanted children that badly. It'd be cheaper, she said. Yes my mother, who does not want to be a grandmother, gave me that piece of advice.
I was talking to a woman I work with who told me my biological clock has kicked in. So this is what it feels like...
After much deliberation, I decided not to be a mom. At least not now, and not by myself. I started back to school for a reason, and having a child would interfere with that goal. I might never be a mom, but I can be the doctor my Jewish family so desperately needs!