Sunday, November 11, 2007

Talking in circles

Sometimes I wish I had studied philosophy. Not because I enjoy philosophy, on the contrary. I think philosophers are pretentious windbags who don't actually say anything, but manage to convince people of their superior intelligence by using big words and talking in circles until no one understands what's being said, thereby causing people to believe the philosophers know more than they do. However, philosophers have one trait I wish I had: the ability to present a logical and rational argument. I tend to argue purely from emotion, which gets me nowhere, so I want to learn to argue dispassionately. Example: There are people walking around campus wearing empty gun holsters as a protest to a state law that bans guns on college campuses. I fully support that law, and my initial response to those wearing the holsters is: "Why are you stupid?". That line of questioning doesn't get me very far. So maybe philosophy isn't completely worthless if it can teach me to present an argument in a way that the other person understands and doesn't make me look like a complete idiot.

Before I end this, I am in need of opinions. I'm thinking of transferring this blog to wordpress.com. Any thoughts?