Wednesday, October 31, 2007

I'm getting old. This becomes more apparent everyday, but it really sticks out when it comes to sitting in class with 18 and 19 year olds. They all bring their laptops and cell phones and rarely pay attention to the instructor. Tonite for example, I watched people playing on myspace and facebook, playing video games, watching sports and texting. Even the people who actually use their lap tops for note taking are at a disadvantage in a class where we have to draw diagrams of rock sequence layers. When I was younger, it was enough for me to just sit in class, but I had to be actively listening to retain anything. How do these kids learn anything? Now that I'm twice the age of the average freshman, I need to take notes, very thorough, detailed notes. So, either age is catching up with me, or these 18 and 19 year olds are going to fail geology.