Saturday, May 21, 2005

dazed and confuzzled

I went to see Star Wars tonite. My student workers took me out. It was fun making jokes about the people who dressed up, although two of my boys brought light sabers with them! The movie itself was a bit of a disappointment. Honestly all three of them have been. I'm a heretic for saying that I know, but I think they could've just made one movie to tell the same story much more convincingly. Maybe I'm biased, I'm old enough to remember the original Star Wars when it first came out. I was 6 and we saw it at the drive-in. These new one's just aren't the same to me.

I was in such a strange mood today. Going out tonite has helped, but I was all depressed and gloomy today. I'm not entirely sure why. Last night was such a good night. I went to Temple and actually enjoyed the service for the first time in a while. At one point today, I thought about going into detail about the service. But then I realized that there is only one other Jew I know of who reads this, so me talking about the connection I made with the matriarchs while chanting the Avot and G'vurot will mean nothing to the rest of you. I will just say it was a good service and I left feeling revitalized. And then I did what every good Jew should do.

I went to a bar! I went to Canal Street to see Shrug and Mona. There was even a third performer last night. A guy named Steven Gullett. I'd never seen him play before, but I really enjoyed his set. He sang a song called "Indie Rock Love". It was hilarious. I wanted to buy his cd just so I could send that song to my friend resident jason, because it reminded me of him - especially the line "they like bands from Chicago that can't sing". Screeching Weasel, anyone? hehe. Then Mona played. I really like Mona. They are incredibly talented and versatile. I highly recommend going to their site and checking out the sound clips. By the time Shrug took the stage I was exhausted. It had been a long week, and being out late on friday night is always a challenge for me, but it was worth it! Shrug is such a great band. The only thing I don't like about going to their shows is being stranded in the land of Abercrombie. I am so not their typical crowd! But I subject my punk rock/hippie self to the pretentiousness of their fans because the shows are just so awesome! (If any of you typical Shrug fans are reading this, I mean no offense. It's just a thirty-something woman complaining about "those damn kids". Pay me no mind.) Again, go to their website and check out their music downloads.

If you're wondering about the title, supposedly someone held a contest to put new words in the dictionary and confuzzled was one of the winners. It means confused and puzzled. Lame, I know, but it works for me.