Tuesday, May 17, 2005

"A vague disclaimer is nobody's friend"

-Buffy the Vampire Slayer

I must be feeling better, because I'm contemplating going back to school-again. About January I decided I'd just spend my life as one of the uneducated masses and try to make the best of it. I didn't have the energy, motivation or desire to subject myself to the stress of a full time job, classes, homework and my Temple extracurriculars. But now I'm thinking I might actually be up for it. I had, at one point, thought about becoming a make-up artist, and that's not totally out of the picture yet, but part of me wants to go finish my bachelors and get it over with. So then the question becomes, what do I study? I keep getting suggestions from the people I work with. What I am hearing the most is that I should study English. This rather amuses me because, for as much as I like to write, English is the one subject I feel the least confident in. Maybe that's because my best friend is an English teacher and her husband has his master's in creative writing, not to mention my own mother's unfulfilled dreams of studying American Literature. That's just too much to live up to. One of the librarians suggested today that I go into business writing, but I ask you, if you enjoy writing for the creative outlet, how happy would you be writing up contracts all day long? I suppose I'd still be happier than checking books in and out to college students who can't find their own books. So, now I have to decide what to do with my life. I should probably start by filling out my financial aid application to see if I even qualify. I'm thinking I'm going back to University of Dayton, but it's private and expensive. The public university here sucks and still costs too much, so I might as well get a decent education if I'm going to have to take out more loans. I had thought about a Canadian university, but I don't know how I'd live and I should probably stay in the land of free rent for as long as possible. Any suggestions from out in cyber space?